[hobbit] hobbit-alerts.cfg - DURATION

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 16:53:25 CET 2007

In general, Hobbit processes the hobbit-alerts.cfg file from top-down, using
the first matching alert.  At least in my experience with the way we're
using DURATION, it should be counting the time from when the alert changes
status (so, green-to-yellow, yellow-to-red, etc), though to be fair, we're
using it differently than you are in this example.

Try using the bbcmd "hobbitd_alert" test below to see if it is working as
intended.  It can be used as below:
/var/hobbit/server/bin/bbcmd hobbitd_alert --test <hostname> <host test>

Also, you might want to consider using DURATION<3m (specifying "m" for
minutes).  I'm not sure what the default is, but I personally prefer to be
explicit; makes reading it a little easier as well.  And if REPEAT=5,
assuming 5 is in minutes, you'll never get a repeat message for yellow or
red status if DURATION<3m.

Dear Hobbits,