[hobbit] is Hobbit ready for 2007 DST?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Mar 6 23:00:59 CET 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 04:17:36PM -0500, Jerry Yu wrote:
> if it is UNIX time then it won't be a problem.
> If local time is stored then used to calculate, it'd be a problem.

Local time is never used for calculations. It is just much easier
to do all time work using Unix Epoch time, and leave the "show local
time" stuff to the C library (which uses your zoneinfo files).

I've done a search of the Hobbit sourcefiles, and the only usage of
local time are

1) the routine which calculate whether a time is within e.g. a
   DOWNTIME specification;
2) the routine which checks SSL certificate expiry time;
3) routines which display timestamps in log files or on web pages.

All of these use the standard C library routine "localtime()" to do
the conversion between Unix Epoch time and local time. This uses
the system's zoneinfo definitions, so it will work without problems -
provided your OS has been updated with new zoneinfo files.

Besides, DST changes in the US have *always* been different from what
is used in Europe (and still are, even with the new DST start date in
the US). So if there had been any hardcoded "this is when DST starts"
code in Hobbit, it would have been spotted several years ago.