[hobbit] hobbitfetch replacement with ssh

Haertig, David F (Dave) haertig at avaya.com
Sat Jun 23 22:13:27 CEST 2007

Using bbcmd to run hobbitclient.sh was a good idea, but presented some
problems of it's own.  No problem getting it to set the environment
though.

For one, invoking the client in this manner leaves lots of iostatcpu,
iostatdisk, and vmstat files laying around in the tmp directory.  I
guess it must be hobbitlaunch that cleans these up normally.

Second, I could not trick logfetch into grabbing custom logfiles.  I
tried putting the appropriate entries in ..../tmp/logfetch.XXX.cfg on
the client end, but logfetch ignored these.  This file is normally
overwritten each time the client contacts the host, so normally you
wouldn't edit it.  But in my case the client is not connecting to the
host so I thought it might be "safe" to manually create this file, but
alas logfetch appears to ignore it.

I may well run into this logfetch gotcha no matter how I invoke
hobbitclient.sh  If the client cannot talk to the Hobbit server, as in
my DMZ case, is it even possible to configure logfetch to grab custom
logfiles?  The logfetch config is normally downloaded from the server.
I don't see any way (yet) to configure it locally on the client.

Thanks