Custom graphs, passing data

Haertig, David F (Dave) haertig at avaya.com
Tue Jun 5 20:49:04 CEST 2007

There appear to be two ways to get data into a custom graph.  (1) Use
the built-in NCV module to parse it out of a Hobbit message, or (2) use
the --extra-script and --extra-test options to hobbitd_rrd.  I have
tried (1) but not (2) yet.

I want to use (1) for it's efficient operation, but the Hobbit message
format it requires for parsing looks ugly when displayed on the webpage
(at least I think it's ugly).  So I was looking for ways to "hide" the
data from the webpage while still allowing the NCV module to find it.
My first thought was to send the Hobbit message with the graphing data
hidden inside a <div style="display:invisible">...</div> block.  But
this doesn't work because when generating the webpage, Hobbit puts the
incoming message inside a <table>, and you can't hide <div>'s when
they're inside a table cell.

Does anyone have other solutions to this, while still using method (1)
so the NCV module can efficientlhy parse things?  Or am I stuck with
learning and moving to method (2)?