[hobbit] Alternate to msgcache/hobbitfetch?

pkc_mls pkc_mls at yahoo.fr
Mon Jun 4 09:12:58 CEST 2007

Haertig, David F (Dave) a écrit :
> I've got some servers out in the DMZ that can't talk directly to the
> corporate network.  I can get out to them via socks/ssh.  I do not
> want to run another listening service (msgcache) out there in the
> DMZ.  Is there a way to configure the client to collect messages to a
> file (without msgcache listening), and then go retrieve/process those
> file(s) via ssh from the Hobbit server and process normally?
>
> What I'm doing now is not installing the client in the DMZ, and
> instead using a custom Hobbit server script that socks/ssh'es out to
> the DMZ and runs it's own data collection commands.  The data
> collected is similar to what the client would normally do, but it's
> all done via custom script without any help from the Hobbit client.
>
> I guess what I'm looking for is a hobbitfetch variant that uses
> ssh/scp rather than connecting to a msgcache listener.  And along with
> that, a way to configure the client to collect data normally, but
> skip starting a listening service.

hi,

there should be a bb-central set of script at deadcat.net.
those scripts works the following :
the server generates scripts to collect th edatas on the clients.
the scripts are copied then executed via scp/ssh on the client.
the server parses the datas collected, and push the infos to the hobbit
server.
this tool was created to work with bigbrother, but you can certainly use
them with hobbit.
start with a small config, as you can have some bugs because these are
quite old.

hope this'll help.