Paging and Alerting -- Need Solution Recommend

James Wade jkwade at futurefrontiers.com
Sat Jul 28 16:53:25 CEST 2007

Hello,

I need a recommendation on paging. When I last submitted this,
Henrik pointed out that when I use the DURATION<30, that if
the Alert goes from yellow to Red within 30 minutes, I won't get
the alert.

So, I thought if I divided up, like below, the problem would be solved.

HOST=%du* SERVICE=conn,cpu,disk,nfs
   MAIL DB_TEAM at mysite.com REPEAT=15 COLOR=YELLOW DURATION<30 RECOVERED

HOST=%du* SERVICE=conn,cpu,disk,nfs

MAIL 5555551212 at airmail.com REPEAT=15 COLOR=RED DURATION<30 RECOVERED

So, based on the settings up, At around midnight last night, a database
server reached YELLOW and sent out two emails 15 minutes apart (30 minutes).

One hour and 30 minutes later, the database server reached RED, however,
no pages were sent out.

>From notifications log:

Sat Jul 28 00:08:55 2007 du102.disk (192.168.1.76) DB_TEAM at mysite.com [128]
1185599335 100

Sat Jul 28 00:24:24 2007 du102.disk (191.168.1.76) DB_TEAM at mysite.com
1185600264 100

Sat Jul 28 00:13:19 2007 du103.disk (192.168.1.78) DB_TEAM at mysite.com [128]
1185599599 100

Sat Jul 28 00:28:24 2007 du103.disk (192.168.1.78) DB_TEAM at mysite.com [128]
1185600504 100

------

What I'm trying to do is reduce the number of overall pages that get
sent when an alert occurs, regardless it it's red or yellow.

The persons getting the notifications only want a maximum of two
notifications per red or yellow alert.

-------

Any suggestions? How is everyone else handling not getting bombarded
with pages? I'm open to any strategy that insures I'm getting pages
on everything, but also doesn't send multiple pages on the same problem.

I would also very much appreciate if you could send the setting in
the alert file with the suggestion so I can set mine up that way.

Thanks All for the help.

James