[hobbit] timeline for 4.3.0

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jul 25 00:17:31 CEST 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 04:57:14PM -0400, Galen Johnson wrote:
> I know there's been a big drive since you announced the highlights
> for 4.3.0.  I also noted that it will not be released until the
> hobbitfetch works without crashing (patch test pending).
> Do you have an idea of when you are going to release 4.3.0?

Oh dear - getting impatient already, are we? :-)

I guess most of the coding will happen over the next month or so -
I happen to have time off for the summer holidays during the next
few weeks. Then there will be a couple of test releases before the
final release - those will probably take a week or two each.
So realistically I'm aiming for a release in the september-october
timeframe.

> Are you planning to do any RC releases prior to full release

Definitely, yes.

> That actually brings up the question of running the new version
> in parallel with the old (obviously this would need to be done on
> a separate box).  Would this be as simple as adding it to the bbdisplay
> variable?

If you want to run a new version in parallel, I'd suggest setting
it up on a separate box which runs the full Hobbit server - display,
network tests etc. Perhaps disabling alerts would be a good idea, or
at least changing the MAILCMD command in hobbitserver.cfg to some dummy
command that doesn't send out real alerts.

To get the full set of data (i.e. client data), configure a handful of
your systems to report to both the old and the new server by changing
the BBDISPLAY/BBDISPLAYS setting in their hobbitclient.cfg file. If you
use hobbitfetch to grab the client data, configure the new server to run
hobbitfetch with a different "--id=N" option.