[hobbit] Hobbit not recognizing certain tests?

FARRIOR, Andy Andy.Farrior at victoriacollege.edu
Tue Jul 17 17:31:58 CEST 2007

Here's a quick overview of how I handle SNMP traps with Hobbit:

1 - Snmptrapd is configured to feed SNMPTT the OID and hostname of the
sending SNMP agent.

2 - SNMPTT then translates the OID into a text message based on the MIB
description for that OID and logs the message in /var/log/messages (or
where ever you put it). You can also configure SNMPTT to log to a MySQL
database simultaneously.

3 - SEC monitors the /var/log/messages file for entries from SNMPTT.
Since some equipment can send the same trap multiple times in quick
sucession, SEC is configured to ignore duplicate messages for a second
or two

4 - SEC then launches a wrapper script that sends Hobbit a message using
Hobbit's BB client program. Hobbit will send an alert if its status is
yellow/red.

5 - A script is run by Hobbit every 5 minutes to prevent any trap
message columns from turning purple. (I don't want my screen turning
purple if I don't get a trap inside of 30min or whatever the no response
timeout period is for Hobbit.)

In the event you get a rapid sequence of a "CRITICAL" trap and then a
"Normal" trap, you'll get a Hobbit alert, but when you view the web
page, it'll be green.  You have to rely on the trap history to see all
of the traps that SNMPTT recorded.

The real trick (pain) is defining what traps you want to be CRITICAL and
what not.

Andy