[hobbit] zoom graph feature

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Jan 30 11:19:37 CET 2007

In <45BED60F.9030805 at trantor.org> Galen Johnson <gjohnson at trantor.org> writes:

>I think this has come up previously but I don't recall seeing a
>response...but how hard would it be to have the Zoom Graph function set
>the graph max to more accurately reflect the height of the block you
>select...ie, if I have a low load and I select a max height of around .2
>when I drag my box, could the max on the new zoom be .2 instead of 1.0?

First of all, it would require that you're using version 1.2.x of the RRDtool
library. I guess it's safe to upgrade now, but back when I was putting the
zoom stuff together, rrdtool 1.2 wasn't quite stable.

rrdtool 1.0 simply doesn't provide the information about the value range
on the y-axis that is needed to implement the zoom. Tobi Oetiker who maintains
the rrdtool library added this in 1.2 at my suggestion :-)

I'll look at reviving some old code I had to implement this. It requires some
changes to both the hobbitgraph CGI and the zoom.js javascript code.