[hobbit] hobbit on Solaris 10 non-global Zone

Eric Meddaugh etmsys at rit.edu
Wed Jan 10 14:04:11 CET 2007

I wrote this to monitor non-global zone statistics from the global zone.
We have over 150+ non-global zones to monitor on about 15 global zones.
We did not want to have to support the hobbit client in each non-global
zone.

The zonestat script only sends information to the "data" part of hobbit.
I've attached a modified hobbitclient-sunos.sh script that can run
inside a non-global zone.  Certain things it does not send to the hobbit
server.  You'll then want to add a
"NOCOLUMNS:disk,cpu,memory,files,ports,procs,msgs" to the host tag.
(Modify it to suit your own environment).  We monitor all the disk, cpu,
memory from the global zone and report on that.  We then use the GROUP
to alert to different people.  I give hobbit sudo rights to run "df"
without a password so it can see the zone's file systems to monitor
correctly.

Hope that helps.  I have a generic rrd_data.pl that will read the data
input coming from other clients.  It takes data in a certain format that
we can use here for other data statistics that we need have hobbit
graph.

---Eric