[hobbit] Loadbalancing Hobbit Server

Kauffman, Tom KauffmanT at nibco.com
Tue Feb 20 17:48:37 CET 2007

>From where I sit, an active hobbit server with a running hot standby
seems to be fairly easy to implement now. I haven't tried to set it up,
but I've looked at the requirements.

I'm currently running this config; I use the hot standby for initial
server testing on new releases and for checking out different bb-hosts
layouts for cosmetic appeal. All my systems know both server addresses.
And the hot standby does everything except network tests and alerting.

All that would need to happen in the event the primary hobbit server
failed would be to update the hobbitlaunch.cfg to enable the network
testing module and the alerting module. And move the IP address of the
webserver. This should be doable with the currently available HA toolset
for Linux (I'll know more in a few weeks -- I've been promised a new
pair of hobbit servers to implement this on).

This does require suitable network bandwidth to run the data to both
systems, and it will require playing with the hobbit checkpoint file so
the failover system will know the proper enable/disable/ack statuses on
restart.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc