[hobbit] Changing the Test interval

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Feb 16 22:19:06 CET 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 01:50:58PM -0600, Trent Melcher wrote:
> > Change the INTERVAL setting for the [bbnet] task in hobbitlaunch.cfg
>
> I was hoping I didn't have to do this
>
> Could it be possible in the next release to have the option of testing
> different network tests at different intervals based on test or server?
> I would still like to test pings and most other net tests at 5 minute
> intervals but content or http I would like to be able to specify the
> interval per server.

I'll keep it in mind. I will be re-inventing how network tests run;
there are several things on the "wishlist":

* Different test schedules (your request)
* The ability to request immediate testing of some service (e.g. to see
  if it's recovered without having to wait for the next test cycle).
* Better dependencies, i.e. some form of network topology knowledge so
  we can better handle when a whole subnet disappears because of a
  router- or link-outage.

I have an idea for a network test "daemon" which is fed test-requests from
a kind of "test scheduler". The test daemon just reports the raw result of
the network test, but feeds it into an analysis module that has the detailed
knowledge of eg network topology and other kinds of dependencies - e.g. this
could handle clustered or load-balanced network services intelligently.
The analysis module would then generate the final status messages, not unlike
how the client data are processed by hobbitd_client before it becomes the
actual status you see on the webpage.

Currently just an idea, and I'm probably rambling due to the fact that
we had a major network outage yesterday and I was working until 3 AM ...