[hobbit] CPU Utilization, Less Averaging

James Wade jkwade at futurefrontiers.com
Fri Feb 16 20:55:41 CET 2007

True, and I've checked, by looking at what the cpu utilization

should be compared to the load average. Everything looks fine.

To be honest, it's user perception. They want to see a

graph that doesn't average but shows the peaks and troughs.

There is another tool here that does cpu utilization, and it

doesn't average and shows more peaks and troughs.

So, I just want to drop the averaging so that it takes more samples,

and less averaging.

As an example, they are looking at load doubling,

but the cpu utilization graph shows no change. However, because

the box is a mutli-cpu box, the load doubling in this case only

means an average increase in utilization by 2%. However, if the

load goes down within 5 minutes, the 2% isn't registered, so

the graph gives a constant cpu average.

What I have seen is the Utilization may go up by 10% or 15%

for only a few seconds, then drop down, (As seen by TOP)

This normally occurs when a large job hits. Because the cpu

utilization is an average on a 5 minute basis, there is not

normally a change in the graph.

I figure if I drop the sample down, I'll get more peaks and troughs

and make them happy. How can I do this in Hobbit?

James

  _____