[hobbit] Hobbit versus Unicenter/TNG

Tom Georgoulias tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Thu Feb 15 14:39:33 CET 2007

Since a similar discussion is being held where I work.  Never thought
that would happen given the success we've had with Hobbit and the
massive customizations I've added, but that is another discussion entirely.

Anyway, one of the useless stats that is being thrown about by a third
party is the number of different data points they will monitor, and I
was asked to provide a similar number of my own.  I have about 9 custom
scripts mixed up on the server and client sides, each of which gather
anywhere from 4 to 40 data points per script.

Looking at the data under hobbitd, is there an easy way to determine how
much data (in the form of individual data points going into an RRD file)
monitored coming in from the clients?  I found the network tests data
under the bbtest column, but figuring out what really matters under the
hobbitd column is a bit more challenging.  Most of my client data comes
in the "status" channel, but some is also going into the data channel.

If it helps at all, here are my current hobbitd stats:

Statistics for Hobbit daemon
Up since 13-Feb-2007 07:59:08 (2 days, 00:30:01)

Incoming messages      :    1980761
- status               :    1694626
- combo                :     240323
- page                 :       5924
- summary              :          0
- data                 :      33464
- client               :       1031
- notes                :          0
- enable               :          3
- disable              :         19
- ack                  :          0
- config               :          0
- query                :       1160
- hobbitdboard         :       2850
- hobbitdlog           :        697
- drop                 :          8
- rename               :          0
- dummy                :        580
- ping                 :          0
- notify               :         22
- schedule             :         44
- download             :          0
- Bogus/Timeouts       :         10
Incoming messages/sec  :         11 (average last 300 seconds)

status channel messages:    1691796 (1 readers)
stachg channel messages:       3621 (1 readers)
page   channel messages:       2327 (1 readers)
data   channel messages:      33472 (1 readers)
notes  channel messages:          0 (0 readers)
enadis channel messages:          0 (0 readers)
client channel messages:        935 (1 readers)
clichg channel messages:          0 (1 readers)

--
Tom Georgoulias
Systems Engineer
tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com