[hobbit] Solaris ps

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun Feb 11 09:01:25 CET 2007

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 06:22:52PM -0500, Galen Johnson wrote:
> >>Is there any reason NOT to use '/usr/ucb/ps auxwww' in place of the
> >>ps that hobbit-sunos.sh is using?...in other words, will it break
> >>anything if I use it (yes, I know I need to run it as root to get
> >>everything)?   I prefer the output of what Henrik provides but the
> >>solaris ps is braindead (truncates at 80 characters).
>
> Yeah, but all of our systems are SPARC...which does...even with Solaris
> 10.   Question stands...is there a reason not to? (other than upgrading,
> will it affect any of hobbit's builtin functionality?)

If you look at the hobbitclient-sunos.sh script that runs on the
clients, you'll see that it currently runs
  ps -A -o pid,ppid,user,stime,s,pri,pcpu,time,pmem,rss,vsz,args

If you can come up with a /usr/ucb/ps command that provides the same
information - hopefully using almost the same column headers - then
I have no problem in switching.

Right now, Hobbit only looks at the command line from the "ps" listing,
but I do have a plan to make it track the memory- and cpu-utilisation of
processes; and for that Hobbit must be able to identify the
corresponding columns in the "ps" output. But that's in the future.