[hobbit] Requesting a common encrypted port number for hobbit client/server

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Aug 20 22:47:57 CEST 2007

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 08:40:38AM -0500, T.J. Yang wrote:

> Just and idea, port 1984 over the years got recognized by some kind of
> Internet organization as default port for bb client/server communication
> port.
>
> Should we (hobbit community) pursue a common port number for hobbit
> client/server  encrypted communication ?

I don't think this is necessary, and I'm not even sure such an
application will be accepted.

The current trend for protocols that operate with both plain-text
and encrypted traffic is to start with an un-encrypted connection, and
then use a "STARTTLS" command to turn on encryption. The two sides can
then negotiate if they can/will communicate.

Since this appears to be the method preferred by the Internet
authorities, that's the one I've though about implementing. That
shouldn't stop you from using stunnel, though.

> I see the need but don't how to get this done.
> which port number to use ? who(which entity)  to ask ?

It's handled by IANA, You request it through
http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/usr-port-number.pl