[hobbit] NFS and shared clientlaunch.cfg files

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Thu Aug 16 00:20:58 CEST 2007

I encountered this exact problem, with monitoring a few hundred servers
that had a common NFS filesystem. For the most part, Hobbit handles this
gracefully as it uses unique names for logfiles and such. I ran into
problems though when I wanted an extra script to run, but just on
certain hosts. I ended up just having the ext script check the hostname
and exit gracefully if it was not the host it should run on:
HOSTNAME=`/bin/hostname`

if ! echo $HOSTNAME | egrep -q 'app-28|web-12|web-13|db-10' ; then
   exit 0
fi

What I would really like to see (and I posted this on the list before),
is a server-side configuration of what scripts or even commands to run
on the remote hosts. I doubt this will be implemented though, because
too many people view it as a security risk.  What I proposed was a
config file with a format something like:

example:
host1.domain.com /home/hobbit/client/ext/somescript.sh 5m

The above would instruct the hobbit client on host1.domain.com to run
the somescript.sh every 5 minutes.

Another way to do it is just use cron and run the script via bbcmd, but
I dont like things that run with hobbit to be able to run when Hobbit is
not running (if I have the client down for some reason, the cron would
still kickoff unless I also disabled it).

-Charles