[hobbit] problems configuring client?

Charles Jones -X (charljon - Cisco Learning Institute at Cisco) charljon at cisco.com
Mon Aug 13 13:03:56 CEST 2007

This is usually caused by a difference between the name you have in the hobbit servers bb-hosts file, and the name of the client host that is reported from the "hostname" command.

I'm willing to bet that if you check the "Ghost Clients" report, (http://yourhobbit.com/hobbit-cgi/hobbit-ghosts.sh , or see the hobbitd status) you will find that your client is reporting as a "ghost". To fix that, you should either fix the clients hostname, or alternatively you can stop the hobbit client on that machine, and restart it, using the --hostname option to force it to report as the same name as its entry in the servers bb-hosts file.

As for monitoring the USB drive, probably the easiest way is to add an entry to the hobbit-clients.cfg (on the hobbit server) to force that partition to be checked and trended. Something like:

HOST=yourhost.com
     DISK  /media/usb 90 95

Be sure to put this ABOVE the "DEFAULT" entry, and of course use the proper mount point in place of /media/usb. I use this same method to force the monitoring of a few NFS mounted volumes, which Hobbit by default ignores.

-Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Kuntzagk [mailto:andreas.kuntzagk at mdc-berlin.de]
Sent: Mon 8/13/2007 3:49 AM
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: [hobbit] problems configuring client?

Hi,

I'm quite new to Hobbit and to this list. I managed to install hobbit on
a server and also on a few clients. So far, so good. But now I have
problems with just one client:
It's data doesn't appear on the webpage. All other clients work well.
To study the problem I did a tcpdump on the client and there was data
send to the server. All machines run RHEL 4. The hobbitclient.cfg is
identical on all machines.
Only differences in configuration is that the failing client is also
monitored for imaps and some rpc. The status of these is displayed.

Any idea what could cause this problem? Where could I search for more
information?

Second question:
I want to monitor if a usb drive is mounted. How best to do that? Is
there a test/ an extension for this?

Ciao, Andreas

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk