[hobbit] Downtime Alerting #2

oliver_grube at campbellsoup.com oliver_grube at campbellsoup.com
Thu Apr 26 09:53:15 CEST 2007

Hello,

I would like to implement Downtime alerting when a downtime is scheduled.
In our environment, we are working on an European level together.
Therefore, for some devices, we need to inform colleagues and third party
connections about a planned downtime. EG. if a VPN Router will not be
available for a while...

I'm thinking about an EXT Script to do downtime alerting right when the
planned downtime is scheduled.

It's like:
- Check scheduled Task list for entries
- Check internal file, if already informed
- Run against each entry in Task list, if not already informed
- Send eMail to receipt following alerting rules looking for "NOTICE" and
"NOALERT"
- Cleanup internal file for not valid entries (comparing the scheduled Task
list)
- If a not valid entry with date in future exists, send Alert to inform
about cancelled downtime
- Delete not valid entry
- Add new informed device and planned Downtime to internal file
- Exit

For a perl/bash scripting guy, this will be an easy task, however, I've
written my last perl Script in 2003... :-(, because most devices running MS
and I script more VBScripts...

Has anybody any hint for me?

mit freundlichen Grüßen - Best regards
Met vriendelijke groeten  -  Sincères salutations,

Oliver Grube

             geoff.hallford at gm
             ail.com
                                                                        cc

              hobbit at hswn.dk           Re: [hobbit] Downtime Alerting #2

I could be wrong as well but I am using NOTICE and it doesn't seem to
trigger for a 'scheduled' disable. It only triggers if the enable/disable
is scheduled for 'now'.

It would definitely be helpful if it did though.