"hobbitd status-board not available" from bbgen on solaris 10

Colin Spargo cspargo2 at csc.com
Thu Apr 19 13:30:23 CEST 2007

If anyone has been having issues with bbgen logging this error mesage on
Solaris 10 and intermittently  failing, resulting in blank status pages,
then I think I have found a workaround.

If you disable TCP fusion be adding the following kernel parameter to
/etc/system and reboot, hopefully you will find that the problem goes
away.

set ip:do_tcp_fusion = 0

Apparently this can be done on a live system as well (without rebooting),
but will require hobbit to be restarted. To do this:

echo do_tcp_fusion/W0 | mdb -kw

TCP fusion is only used on local loopback connections to speed them up by
bypassing the normal TCP stack. I found that the problem only occured when
connecting to hobbitd locally. I tried running "bb localhost hobbitdboard"
once a second, and found it would often return no data, but if I ran the
same command from another host to the hobbit server, it always returned
correct data. This made me suspect TCP fusion, as I have run into issues
with it before. It it is best left disabled in my opinion.