Desktop Client

Epp, Matthew Contractor PEO EIS AKO matthew.epp at us.army.mil
Tue Sep 19 21:56:04 CEST 2006

I have created an application using wxpython that reports Hobbit/Big Brother
events directly to your desktop, for either Unix or Windows platforms.

There are three main components:

1> You configure your hobbit-alerts.cfg to send all events to a small perl
script, which formats the data and sends it to a local UNIX socket.
2> Another perl script runs daemonizede and reads in the data from the UNIX
socket. It then sends the events to any clients connected to it.
3> The client recieves all events, and does any filtering and further
formatting for the end-user.

It's still very alpha, but fully functional. Mainly I created this for our
NOC which is sometimes very busy and occasionally alerts get missed if
someone isn't eyeballing the web page constantly. The client can create
pop-up windows, play sound files, etc that some are already familiar with
from the old "bbtray" application.

Although it still needs a lot of work, I'd like to start distributing it for
people to try out and maybe offer suggestions or even assistance with. Is
"The Shire" ready for user distribution of projects yet?