[hobbit] how to comment on an alert event when test already recovers?

Richard Leyton richard at leyton.org
Tue Sep 12 23:51:52 CEST 2006

Hi Jerry,

I know it's perhaps not quite what you're after, but your e-mail
intrigued me, and I wondered if you've considered using a Wiki or an
issue tracker for such things?

It's not going to be as integrated as I see you suggesting, but there
is the unix philosophy of 'do one thing, and do it well', and Hobbit
starting to track issues/resolutions pushes it out of monitoring
(which it does so well) quite a  bit.

Alternatively, you might want to take a look at RT from
bestpractical.com/rt - you could, conceivably, hook alerts (or better
yet, acknowledgements?) into either RT or RTFM, a plug-in component
to RT that provides common resolutions to problems. Perhaps if alert
id's were pushed into a ticket, you could fetch out previous 'issues'
associated with an alert, but it'd be considerably fiddly to
customise things as much.

I like what you're thinking - but I don't (personally) see Hobbit
benefiting from such a move, other than perhaps improved integration
with existing open source tools of the sort I've described, but
that's a  Henrik thing, of course.

I'd certainly be interested to hear if anybody else on the list has
tried something similar to Jerry?

Regards,

Richard.

Richard Leyton - richard at leyton.org