[hobbit] Hobbit and bb-central

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Sep 11 23:31:20 CEST 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 05:07:13PM -0400, Michael A. Price wrote:

> I have some systems that i would like to install the hobbit client on,
> but they are running an older version of glibc-2.2.4 . I cant upgrade
> glib because of conflicts with the vendors software and support contract
> issues.

Is there a problem with just building (compiling) the Hobbit client on
these older systems ? That would be the simplest solution.

If you download the source-version of Hobbit (the hobbit-4.2.0.tar.gz
file from Sourceforge), copy it over to one of these boxes, and unpack
it with "tar zxf hobbit-4.2.0.tar.gz". cd into the hobbit-4.2.0
directory and run "./configure --client", followed by "make" and
"make install". That should give you a client, built for this type of
system.

When you're only building the client, you do not need any of the special
libraries that the Hobbit server needs. It's designed to work on an
almost "bare" system.