[hobbit] uptime column

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 20:04:03 CEST 2006

On 8/31/06, Henrik Stoerner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 10:58:37PM +0200, Etienne Grignon wrote:
>
> > I think putting uptime alert in the cpu column was inherited from big
> > brother so may be it could be changed depending the agreement of
> > Henrik and hobbit users.
> >
> > Henrik, what do you think about that ?
>
> I think it's a good idea. The "cpu" column really is a bit overloaded;
> it tracks cpu utilisation, it tracks reboots, and with the hobbit
> client it also warns if the system clock goes astray.
>
> However, the display can get a bit crowded with all of the things we
> monitor now. So I'm thinking that maybe it would be nice to also
> implement a kind of status column which is only visible when it isn't
> green - or perhaps until it's been green for some time. The "reboot"
> status would be a prime candidate for such a status - you normally dont
> care about it, but when it happens you might want to be made aware of
> it.

Excellent idea. Dynamic column!! Wow. It would help a lot with my crowded
columns .  Ofcourse a red alert will make me aware of it if I choose it to
show up only at red. I would like to see the same feature for `msgs' column.
Also may be a button or something to show static view with all columns and
(default) dynamic view.

Another way of getting the display less crowded would be to have
> "collapsible" columns, i.e. several statuses would be collapsed into a
> single red/green/yellow "dot" on the webpage.

It is a pretty good idea too, unless you have a static/dynamic button as I
mentioned above.

I think dynamic view fits better with hobbit :-)

Just some ideas.

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu