newbie question about event duration

Tim Hauber haubertj at alfredstate.edu
Fri Sep 1 16:51:01 CEST 2006

Can some one explain, or just point me to an explanation, how hobbit computes duration of an event?

I am using a standard hobbit installation, on debian testing, testing 63 hosts.  I have not changed any test intervals from the default. I don't understanding how a system which checks every 5 minutes, and rechecks every minute can return a connectivity down event less than a minute long.

I recently had a network card in a printer go bad, and the symptom was a lot of short duration disconnects, some of which were reported by hobbit to be less than a minute long.

--
Tim Hauber
ACES Network Manager

"Proximity to wonder has blunted our perception and appreciation of it"
  --Tim Hartnell in 'Exploring ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE on your Commodore 64'