[hobbit] How to shorten the ping time ?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Sep 1 07:36:08 CEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 07:34:36PM -0500, T.J. Yang wrote:
> I am using hobbitping and I am getting 43 seconds for 833 hosts pings.
>
> PING test completed (833 hosts)          1157070413.072972         42.444355
>
> Is there a way to improve number if  parallel pings by hobbitping  ?
> my test hobbit server looks very low on load avgerage.

Network tests rarely put much load on your box, they spend most of their
time waiting for the remote server to respond.

You can probably increase the max. packets/second from the default (50)
to e.g. 200 or 500. The risk in doing that is that you might overload
some of the network components along the way to the server, and ICMP
packets are among the first to be discarded if a router sees more
traffic than it can handle. So there's a higher risk of getting false
alerts the higher you go with the packet rate.