[hobbit] tracking bad users

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Oct 31 16:19:16 CET 2006

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 02:45:22PM -0000, Jones, Jason (Altrincham) wrote:

> I am curious, where are the ack'd alerts stored?

In RAM.

> How does hobbit know an alert is ack'd

The ack is sent to Hobbit in an "ack" message.

> the reason I want to know is so I can generate a list of
> ack'd alerts with their reasons and durations so I can name and shame
> the admins who are giving bad reason (i.e. one gave their initials as
> the reason) and/or acking for a long time and not giving a callID (just
> a number so we can find it in a database basically).

When trying to pull status information from Hobbit, the best place to
start is always with the command

   bb 127.0.0.1 "hobbitdboard"

See the bb(1) man-page for details. You'll want something like

   bb 127.0.0.1 "hobbitdboard color=red,yellow fields=hostname,testname,acktime,ackmsg" | \
      grep -v '|0|$'

(that "grep" is to weed out those statuses that have a null acktime,
meaning they are NOT acknowledged).

Note that the paging/ack system is being re-worked, so the
acknowledgments done on the Critical Systems view will not show up with
the above command. To see those, you must grab the "acklist" field"
instead of the acktime/ackmsg fields.