[hobbit] Hobbit client feature request: bb client compatible mode

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 17:00:50 CEST 2006

On 10/26/06, Buchan Milne <bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 22:32, Gary Baluha wrote:
> > I feel your pain, as we too are migrating our BB server (actually,
> servers)
> > into a single Hobbit server.  To add to the complexity, the hobbit
> server
> > is on an entirely different subnet (and thus IP) as the BB server, so
> ACL
> > changes need to be made as well.
>
> But, you could set your BB server up to run a proxy (on the default port)
> which proxies to your Hobbit server, as well as the real BB server.

The problem is, we have 3 different BB servers for several different
networks, including those that aren't allowed to communicate between each
other, for security purposes.  What you describe is certainly a good idea,
but for our purposes, I'm finding it easier to move the hosts individually
to Hobbit.  However, if we get down to only a few hosts left on the BB
servers, we may do just that finish the migration, and deal with the ACLs at
a more convenient time.

Or, if you are running the 4.2 clients, you could use the msgcache feature,
> so
> Hobbit polls the clients for their data.

We have very restrictive network ACLs, so even that method will require some
ACL changes.

If the issue is the network tests, the proxy solution should work, until you
> need to remove the server (but, that you would have to do regardless of
> software).

Yeah, we also have several network tests, such as connection, smtp, dns,
ftp, etc.

Regards,