[hobbit] Hobbit client feature request: bb client compatible mode

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Oct 26 00:05:26 CEST 2006

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 03:22:47PM -0500, T.J. Yang wrote:
> Hobbit has very good feature that hobbit server accepting message existing
> bb client.
> But is it possible to  code hobbit client to have a mode  to compatible
> with existing BB server ?

No.

> Tear down an existing BB server is not as easy as it seems.

I don't buy that. Converting a BB server to Hobbit requires you to do
two (maybe three) things:

* Move the RRD files around; there's a script included with Hobbit
  which takes care of that. Takes a few minutes at most.
* Convert your alert configuration from BB to Hobbit. Even for a
  moderately complex alert setup, I would guess you could do it in
  a day or two (can be done in advance).
* Server-side scripts may need a bit of tweaking, but for the most part
  they should work if you enable the compatibility module to save status
  logs and disable-files.

The logfiles are compatible between BB and Hobbit. The bb-hosts file is
backward compatible so you can copy it from BB to Hobbit (not the other
way around). The client configuration is different, but that doesn't
matter when we're discussing the server migration.

So I disagree with your premise that migrating a server from BB to
Hobbit is difficult. It is a lot more difficult to make the Hobbit
clients compatible with a BB server. E.g. there is no way you can get a
BB server to push the configuration to a Hobbit client without
re-implementing parts of the Hobbit server in the BB network daemon.