[hobbit] Sending data from script to an rrd

Rob Munsch rmunsch at solutionsforprogress.com
Thu Oct 19 17:14:47 CEST 2006

Hubbard, Greg L wrote:
> Hey Rob,
>
> What is being passed is all the text you so carefully sent in your
> client-side text.  That is why it is important to "pitch" what you can
> "catch."

OH, so, you know how to craft your greps and awks based on the MSG you
are sending from the client, is that it?  I don't need to find and
examine that passed data, because i can see its structure based on the
$MSG i am sending at the end of the client script.  Right?

> (please don't laugh at my code):

shyeah, like i'm qualified to do so.

> case $TESTNAME in
>
>         foo)
>                 # Snag each foo data line
>
>                 FOO_ALL=`grep "FOO_Events:" $FNAME | awk '{print $3}'`

this is where i was getting conf00zed.  I was wondering what psychic
powers you people were employing to know how to pick out what you wanted
blindly :).

>                 # Print out RRD Foo Dataset definitions
>
>                 echo "DS:Events:GAUGE:600:0:U"
>                 echo "DS:Notifications:GAUGE:600:0:U"
>                 echo "foo.rrd"
>                 echo "$FOO_ALL:$FOO_NOTIFY"

and this i'll just have to look up to make sure of.

Thank you!  I think it's starting to coalesce in my congealed brain...

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

- --
Rob Munsch