[hobbit] Packaging Hobbit 4.2.0

John Glowacki johng at idttechnology.com
Thu Oct 19 07:32:16 CEST 2006

Paul Moore wrote:
> I've been working for several weeks trying to build a precompiled pkg of
> hobbit for solaris and have had varied success.  After a great deal of
> troubleshooting I stumbled across a fundamental flaw as best that I can
> tell.  It appears that several of the binaries (bb, hobbitd,
> hobbit-ghosts.cg to name a few) compiled actually have the local server and
> ip as configured in the Makefile rather than calling the hobbitserver.cfg
> file for that information.
>
> Is this by design?  And if so, has anybody tried and successfully built a
> Solaris pkg?
>
> Paul Moore V966-5159
> MSO OSS Support

I noticed this before. It's normal. I was having a problem because of
one of the cgi commands wasn't loading the settings from
hobbitserver.cfg to override what is defaulted in the binaries. Turned
out to be a typo that was causing my the hobbitserver.cfg not to load.
This is how Henrik explained it to me back then.

John

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 04:24:07PM -0400, John Glowacki wrote:

> > Looking at the debug output the embedded ip in the binary is causing
> > hobbit-ghosts.cgi to fail. I don't see what else it could be. Is
there a
> > reason why the ip and hostname are embedded in the binaries? I would
> > assume this would effect people who use rpm or deb packages in the
final
> > release, unless the packages are created with 127.0.0.1 address.

Which is why the packages I build are always configured for IP 127.0.0.1
and hostname "localhost".

The reason is that all of the Hobbit binaries have some of the core
hobbitserver.cfg settings built-in. These ONLY take effect if they are
not overridden by the real settings from Hobbitserver.cfg, which is
what normally happens when you run them. But it might fail if you
dont run them the way they were intended to  :-)  E.g.

> > # ./hobbit-ghosts.cgi --debug

is wrong, you should run it with
  ./hobbit-ghosts.cgi --env=/etc/hobbit/hobbitserver.cfg
which is what the cgi-bin shellscript wrapper installed into the
webserver cgi-bin directory does, through a config entry in hobbitcgi.cfg.

Or you can use the bbcmd tool to load the environment for you:
  bbcmd --env=/etc/hobbit/hobbitserver.cfg ./hobbit-ghosts.cgi