rrd question

Galen Johnson gjohnson at trantor.org
Fri Oct 13 03:45:10 CEST 2006

Galen Johnson wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I have the graphing working just fine...however the rrd file is
> huge...below is a sample of the status message getting sent to hobbit.
>
> There are 16 terminal users on winserver1.
>
> Of the 16 total users:
>
>    Active Sessions:    2
>    Disconnected Sessions:    14
>    Group1 Users:    7
>    Group2 Users:    9
>

> USERNAME              SESSIONNAME        ID  STATE   IDLE TIME  LOGON
> TIME
> user01                                    4  Disc        none
> 9/18/2006 3:52 PM
> user02                                    1  Disc        none
> 9/20/2006 3:33 PM
> user03                rdp-tcp#360         6  Active       6:09
> 9/22/2006 5:11 PM
> user04                                   12  Disc        none
> 9/26/2006 9:15 AM
> user05                                   14  Disc        none
> 9/27/2006 10:07 AM
> user06                                   15  Disc        none
> 9/27/2006 2:52 PM
> user07                                   11  Disc        none
> 9/27/2006 4:55 PM
> user08                                    9  Disc        none
> 9/27/2006 5:37 PM
> user09                                   16  Disc        none
> 9/28/2006 3:49 PM
> user10                rdp-tcp#359         2  Active          .
> 10/2/2006 10:57 AM
> user11                                    5  Disc        none
> 10/2/2006 2:56 PM
> user12                                    7  Disc        none
> 10/6/2006 10:15 AM
> user13                                    8  Disc        none
> 10/10/2006 9:21 AM
> user14                                    3  Disc        none
> 10/11/2006 2:51 PM
> user15                                   18  Disc        none
> 10/11/2006 3:50 PM
> user16                                   17  Disc        none
> 10/12/2006 1:56 PM
>

> When I looked at the file sizes the termusers.rrd file is huge
> compared to the other rrd files for this same system, so I did a dump
> and looked at the content...it created a rrd entry for EVERY userXX as
> well...broken up in strange ways...regardless...I want it ignore
> everything except the 4 items above USERNAME...can I do this with NCV
> (which is what I'm currently using) or will it require a separate
> script?  I'm going to continue digging into the docs and mailing list
> but thought I'd ask while doing so (in case you could save me some time).
>
> =G=
>
> Note, this is hobbit 4.2.0 (unpatched) and the client is BBWin with a
> custom script.

Ok...I've tracked down part of it...I think the reason it is grabbing
the lower section is the colon in the time...based on the hobbitd_rrd
man page it looks for NAME-COLON-VALUE and strips out
whitespace...here're are a couple of entries from the dump (easy enough
to duplicate for testing):

OK...my cut-n-paste from my remote desktop just hosed so I'll have to
provide the info later if you really need it...

There needs to be a way to define a data block within a status message
and have NCV graphing ignore everything outside of it...something like

<!--
<BEGIN DATA>

entry1:value1
entry2:value2

<END DATA >
-->

that way it will be hidden on the web page or stripped out...

=G=