[hobbit] Advice needed on using hobbit across WAN

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Oct 2 10:19:39 CEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 02:30:53PM -0500, T.J. Yang wrote:

> From network speed point of view, what kind of ping response time is not
> suitable for hobbit client/server deployment ?
>
> I have one overea site that answer ping test steady at 300ms.
>
> Does anyone have experience on deploying hobbit across WANs over country ?
>
> I know using proxy is an alerternative but what about direct report over a
> pipe with 300ms ping time ?

Getting reports from clients will work, no problem.

Running network tests across the WAN link may not be a good idea, since
you're more like to hit timeouts and sporadic ping failures with such
high latency. So it would probably be a good idea if you could setup
a network test probe at the remote end of you WAN connection. It can
still report to the central Hobbit server.  Of course, if you want to
monitor the availability of services accessed across the WAN link, then
running your network tests across the WAN does make sense.