Custom RRD graphs

Ger Maguire ger at fwi.ie
Wed Nov 29 21:12:39 CET 2006

Hi folks,

I have created a custom script for capturing CPU utilisation from a device
and updated all the relevant files but I cannot get my rrd files to update
correctly.

An initial rrd file gets created but the data does not get input into it.

I have created a rrd-ext sript which is running and is capturing the
incomming status data and by looking at the /tmp files I can see that the
echo outputs are being generated correctly every 5 mintes.

----> rrd-ext.sh

HOSTNAME="$1"
TESTNAME="$2"
FNAME="$3"

if [ "$TESTNAME" = "acpu" ]
then
        echo "`date`" >> /tmp/hobbit.$HOSTNAME.$TESTNAME
        echo "$FNAME" >> /tmp/hobbit.$HOSTNAME.$TESTNAME
        # Analyze the message we got
        # ACPU=`grep "connected" $FNAME | awk '{print $14}'`
        ACPU=`grep "The 5" $FNAME | cut -d"(" -f2 | cut -d"." -f1`
        # The RRD dataset definitions
        echo "DS:acpu:GAUGE:600:0:100"
        # The filename
        echo "acpu.rrd"
        # The data
        echo "$ACPU"
        echo "$ACPU"  >> /tmp/hobbit.$HOSTNAME.$TESTNAME
fi

The value I want to graph is simply a cpu % counter, have I got the above
values and setting correct for this ?

Any help or pointers appreciated.

Output that this produces is below showing that it is getting the data
correctly from the status input.

---> /tmp/hobbit.$HOSTNAME.$TESTNAME

Wed Nov 29 19:54:07 GMT 2006
/usr/lib/hobbit/server/tmp/rrd_msg_13879
14
Wed Nov 29 19:59:05 GMT 2006
/usr/lib/hobbit/server/tmp/rrd_msg_26569
25
Wed Nov 29 20:04:07 GMT 2006
/usr/lib/hobbit/server/tmp/rrd_msg_2788
17
Wed Nov 29 20:09:12 GMT 2006
/usr/lib/hobbit/server/tmp/rrd_msg_11944
9

Ger.