[hobbit] LDAP Test

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Nov 14 22:53:24 CET 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 12:10:27PM -0600, James Wade wrote:
> I've compiled the LDAP test in hobbit, and I'm trying
> to test the login ability. However, I'm not sure it's working.
>
> 192.168.20.1 systemA # ldaplogin=ldapuser:passwd  ldap:systemA:389

What exactly are you trying to do here?

The "ldap:systemA:389" doesn't make sense. If you want just to test if
the ldap port is open, then you should just use "ldap" - nothing more.

If you want to check if the ldap server is responding to queries, then
you must provide a full URL-style LDAP query - see the bb-hosts man-page
for details about how to do that.

Since you're messing the "ldaplogin", I assume you want to perform the
"real" LDAP lookup test.

BTW, "ldaplogin" is only needed if your LDAP server requires
authentication. Most LDAP servers allow anonymous connections for simple
lookups.