[hobbit] URL Monitoring -- New User

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Sat Nov 4 02:01:58 CET 2006

I simply specify multiple URLS in bb-hosts, such as:

1.2.3.4 web1.mydomain.com # ssh http://some.url:8080
http://some.other.url:8081 http://yet.another.url:8082

This puts the status of all 3 urls in the "http" column for that host,
and if any of them go down there will be a red alert, which is I believe
the effect you are wanting. Note: if the urls you are testing do not all
resolve to the same IP, you may have to use extra options (see "Testing
sites by IP-address" section of bb-hosts man page) such as
http://some.url:8080=1.2.3.5/index.html

Another option is to create pseudo-hostnames for URLs. I have done this
on some Hobbit setups were many many URLs were being monitored, such as:

subpage PRODURLS Prod URLs
1.2.3.4    URL-Login_Portal # http://some.url:8080/index.html
1.2.3.5    URL-Admin_Site   # http://some.url:8081/admin.php
1.2.3.6    URL-File_Repo    # https://some.url/files.php

Using above method, you can define alerts in hobbit-alerts.cfg based on
the page name:
PAGE=%.*/PRODURLS SERVICE=*
MAIL webadmin at somewhere.com format=sms

Hope I didn't confuse you :-)  I think the first option (specifying
multiple http checks in bb-hosts) is all you need.

-Charles