[hobbit] Alering on log file entries

Henrik Storner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu May 18 09:24:09 CEST 2006

In <446C0A01.7030900 at unil.ch> Dominique Frise <Dominique.Frise at unil.ch> writes:

>Wild, Phil wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a requirement to monitor a number of log files on one system and
>> to page different people depending on what it sees in the different
>> files. From what I can tell, this functionality is not available. Am I
>> wrong here?
>>
>> My thoughts on setting this up would be to clone and modify the existing
>> bb-msgs feeder script to accept a different config file and report as a
>> different test and then through hobbit, set up alerts to the different
>> group for the additional test.
>>
>> Is this a sound approach or is there a better way?

>We have exactely same requirements.

>We did clone bb-msgs when we were using Big Brother and have not yet integrated
>this feature on our Hobbit system.
>I don't think there is a better to this at the moment but maybe Henrik could
>think about this ;-)

I have been thinking about this, actually :-) It is one case of several where
it would be useful to direct alerts triggered by one status to different people.
Think disk-alerts, or processes, or web applications.

This was discussed briefly back in November, see the thread starting with
http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2005/11/msg00159.html

Let me just say that it is being worked on.

Henrik Storner