Monitoring a laptop

David Gilmore david at stenhouseconsulting.com
Fri Mar 31 23:12:03 CEST 2006

I was thinking of monitoring employee laptops, and maybe even desktops, with
hobbit.  I added a group to my hosts file with the DIAL tag, created a line
in the hosts file 0.0.0.0 mylaptop.mydomain.local # noping.  I then
installed a client on the laptop and just set it to monitor the basics (CPU,
Disk, Memory).  I then shut down the laptop and took it home.  Thirty
minutes later I checked my hobbit pages from my home desktop and saw that
the status of the client was set to purple.  I obviously misunderstood the
functionality of the DIALUP tag.  Is it possible to monitor a device that
would only check in a couple of times a day?  I know I could set specific
alerts thresholds for the laptop, but was hoping there might be a
"universal" solution.

Thanks

David Gilmore
Consultant