[hobbit] Moving to new Hobbit server

ZanDAhaR allan at zandahar.net
Wed Mar 1 05:45:20 CET 2006

Andy France wrote:

> ZanDAhaR <allan at zandahar.net> wrote on 01/03/2006 03:52:41 p.m.:
>
> > David Pullman wrote:
> > > I also had to do the export/import of rrd files when moving from
> RHEL4
> > > on an i686 to RHEL 4 on a x86_64 processor type.
> > >
> > > --David

> and also
> the
> the ip in

> x86

> though I

> > > To unsubscribe from the hobbit list, send an e-mail to
> > > hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk
> > >
> > Hmm ok I hadnt thought about that as I don't understand the inner
> > workings of RRD etc. We're moving from a Pentium Pro 200 box on Redhat
> > 7.2 to a Dual Athlon MP System on Redhat 9 (why RH9 you ask, its the
> > ONLY supported OS for another application thats going on there and
> if we
> > hit any problems if its not RH9 they will not help us, poverty I know)
> >
> > If I do a uname -m they both say i686, uname -p one says unknown other
> > says athlon. Should this be an issue ? Also if they are different
> enough
> > will the graphs just not work or be corrupted or not update ? Can
> > someone please assist me in how to import/export the rrd files then
> as I
> > have never done that before. Been looking in the rrd docs but still not
> > entirely sure what I need/want.
> >
> > The proxy idea sounds good although I don't know if its going to be
> > warranted in this case as we don't have a huge number of hosts to
> deal with.
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback guys
> >
> > Allan
> >
> > To unsubscribe from the hobbit list, send an e-mail to
> > hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk
> >

> As the systems are both Linux, are same-endian (i686). and same FS
> (ext3?), I can only surmise that you should be able to just copy the
> RRD files.
>
> If they are not compatible then the updates will fail as rrdtool will
> not be able to read the existing format.
>
> As far as actually converting them goes, I kind of did it on the fly
> so don't have any useful scripts to pass on :-)  It's pretty easy and
> the RRDTOOL website does provide examples
> (http://rrdtool.trexle.net/doc/rrddump.en.html)
>
> HTH,
> Andy.
>
> #####################################################################################
>
> This email is intended for the person to whom it is addressed
> only. If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy
> or use the contents in any way. The opinions expressed may not
> necessarily reflect those of ZESPRI Group of Companies ('ZESPRI').
>
> While every effort has been made to verify the information
> contained herein, ZESPRI does not make any representations
> as to the accuracy of the information or to the performance
> of any data, information or the products mentioned herein.
> [...]
Ok cool so basically the graphs stop updating if theyre NQR after the
move, I guess thats pretty effortless to test, move a host onto the new
box and come back in a day and see what happens I suppose.

As for the import/export I did the the convert to xml bit but I wasnt
sure if thats what I was supposed to be looking at.

Wicked thanks for the input guys, has certainly cleared some things up,
confirmed some things, and alerted me to things I probably never would
have thought of and then gone 'uhhh wont doesnt this thing work'

THanks all

Allan