[hobbit] Suggestion re: bb extensions

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jun 29 22:37:20 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 10:27:44AM -0700, Dave Overton wrote:
> Can you add to the installer a quick little thing, that will save anyone
> trying to use scripts from deadcat.net a bit of a headache?
>
> Just add a
>
> ln -s hobbitclient.cfg bbdef.sh
>
> In the xxx/etc directory?
>
> Maybe?

In most cases it shouldn't be needed. The common construct I've seen in
BB extension scripts goes like

   if test "$BBTMP" = ""
   then
       . $BBHOME/etc/bbdef.sh
   fi

and since BBTMP (and the other BB* environment variables) have already
been set when script are run via hobbitlaunch.cfg, it should never
try to load the bbdef.sh file.

> Thought since so much more of Hobbit was built with backward compatibilty
> that this would be a nice touch.

Source'ing the hobbitclient.cfg file has never been guaranteed to work
in a shell script, so I really wouldn't encourage doing that. I could
create an empty bbdef.sh file just so that script wouldn't complain.

Regards,
henrik