[hobbit] Hobbit client 4.2 running in local mode - FILE, LOG and DIR tests

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Jun 27 15:45:17 CEST 2006

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 03:30:41PM +0200, Fr?d?ric Mangeant wrote:
> Hi again
>
> I'm using a Hobbit 4.2 client (from latest snapshot) with the "--local"
> flag in ~client/etc/clientlaunch.cfg
>
> Everything works but the FILE, DIR and LOG tests. I get "The client did
> not report any logfile data" and "No files checked".
>
> I saw that commentary :
>
> #NB: The directories you wish to monitor must be listed in a "dir:..."
> #             entry in the client-local.cfg file, in order for the client to
> #             report any data about them.
>
> As I understand, a client in local mode sends directy its statuses to
> the Hobbit server, but it seems that some configuration has still to be
> made on the server...

The local-mode client is not very well documented.

Your FILE, DIR and LOG checks fail because the client-side utilities
don't know what to check. Normally they would receive this information
from the Hobbit server and store it locally in the $BBTMP/logfetch.$MACHINEDOTS.cfg
directory. But since you're running in local mode that does not happen,
and the end result is that you have none of these checks active.

So what you need to do basically is to put the "dir:..." etc lines
into the file ~hobbit/client/tmp/logfetch.`uname -n`.cfg

> I'd really appreciate, as it will allow us to upgrade from Big Brother
> Unix client to Hobbit client.

I'm trying to make the local-mode client so difficult to configure
that you'll just give up and use the server-side config :-))

> Another thing, I keep getting every 5 minutes this error message in
> ~client/logs/hobbitclient.log :
>
> 2006-06-27 15:20:08 Failed to get a message, terminating

Hmm ... it's hobbitd_client complaining. Don't know quite why,
I'll see if I can work it out.

> And the clientupdate command doesn't return anything :
>
> $ ~client/bin/clientupdate --level

It shouldn't, unless you have configured a "clientversion:..."
setting in the client-local.cfg file (in your case: the
~hobbit/client/tmp/logfetch.HOSTNAME.cfg file). But if you
don't want to fetch the client configuration from the server, I
really wonder why you'd want to fetch the whole client package
remotely ... ?