[hobbit] iostat cpu infos

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jun 21 13:07:53 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:48:56PM +0200, Nicolas Dorfsman wrote:

> 	I've found iostat cool informations returned from solaris/hobbit/
> client :
[snip]
> 	Now, I'd like to have the IOwait column used to generate my CPU
> utilization graph....

Currently not possible.

The I/O wait data in Hobbit was traditionally tracked by data provided
by the "vmstat" command. Since there is no I/O wait data reported by the
Solaris vmstat, there is no currently no place to store these data in
the existing RRD (trend) databases - at least as they are used for data
from Solaris boxes.

What this shows is that the current setup which has a custom set of data
for each type of operating system was a poor design. It was inherited
from the old Big Brother / LARRD setup - and it was a major mistake on
my part not to change it when I created Hobbit.

However, changing this now will require everyone to do a manual
export/import of data from their current vmstat RRD files into a new
file format. This is just not possible before the 4.2 release, so
I'm afraid you'll have to wait a while before you can track these data
by default.