[hobbit] fping failing error code 98

Jeffcoat, Al Al.Jeffcoat at orhs.org
Wed Jun 14 23:49:00 CEST 2006

Thanks for the response Henrik,

The weird thing is that the files were created, and contained a mix of:

IP is alive (0.## ms)
IP is unreachable

So it was able to ping some things, but not others.

Looking at the space utilization for that server, which only runs hobbit
on the root file system, it hasn't gone over 8% utilization (8.7GB out
of 115GB), it's currently up from 7% in the last month :), so unlikely
that it was a space issue.

The morning it paged us at 4:15, that was the first thing I looked at,
was did it create the file indicated in the hobbit log.  I also cheked
the df, and to see if there had been a router problem with the router
that the server itself is plugged into.  Our network engineers were
unable to find any issues with that router.  After the second
"non-event", we decided to reboot to clear out what appeared to be
defunct hobbit processes after 92 days of uptime.  Not sure if these
were related or not.  Only time will tell.  Another weird thing is that
immediately after getting the pages and e-mails about the connection
failures, we were getting pages and e-mails that everything had
recovered, almost as if there was only a few seconds delay.  In the time
we've been running hobbit (and bb before), this is the first time
something like this has happened.

Al