[hobbit] hobbit install under debian sarge?

Costa, Todd (DMH) Todd.Costa at state.ma.us
Wed Jun 14 14:25:28 CEST 2006

Hi Dan,

I have been using Debian Sarge and Hobbit 4.1.2p1 successfully since last
November. I used the default install for sarge and added the apache2
components during the build of the debian system. Then I needed to apt-get
install the RRDTOOL, fping packages. Added the hobbit user, downloaded the
hobbit-*.deb and installed that. Then had hobbit running at a base level
before I mod'd the settings to get what I wanted. I thought it worked really
well and no source grinding was needed.

On another note, if you install the desktop components and use synaptic you
can search the package db for all the components required. And like I said I
only had to manually add 3 pieces after the initial install of debian for
the hobbit server. Of course I added other tools to function like I want but
minimally its doable from deb packages instead of trying to compile from
source. Yet if that's how you want to do it, that's cool too. Look at the
Debian Maintainers guide for the required packages needed to successfully
grind with source. Of course there are other places to refer to for what is
best but that's your choice. That's what I like about Debian, it is pretty
much everything you need without alot of trouble IMHO, aside from the
research. A few commands or clicks. Bang, you off and running. Good Luck.

TMC