[hobbit] Modem monitoring

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Jun 13 06:38:51 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 05:42:56PM -0500, Smith, Jim wrote:
> It works!  However, I only want it to test once or twice an hour.  If I
> can figure that part out, I'll be in good shape!

You can use the "NET:..." definition in the bb-hosts file to split
up your network tests into two groups: Those that are for the modems,
and all the others. First setup your modem tests as a separate group
of tests:

* Change the entries in your bb-hosts file for these modems and
  add "NET:modem"
* Create a script ~hobbit/server/ext/modemtest with:
    #!/bin/sh
    BBLOCATION=modem bbtest-net --ping --check-response
  Remember to make it executable (chmod 755 ...)
* Add a new section to the ~hobbit/server/etc/hobbitlaunch.cfg
  file to run this script once an hour:
    [modemtests]
	ENVFILE /usr/lib/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
	NEEDS hobbitd
	CMD $BBHOME/ext/modemtest
	LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/modemtest.log
	INTERVAL 1h

This runs your modem tests once an hour. Now, you also want to NOT
run them together with the standard network tests. To do that:

* Change ~hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg and add
    BBLOCATION="standard"
  This makes the BBLOCATION setting be "standard" by default.
* Change the CMD line in the [bbnet] section in hobbitlaunch.cfg
  and add the --test-untagged option:
    [bbnet]
	ENVFILE /usr/lib/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
	NEEDS hobbitd
	CMD bbtest-net --report --ping --checkresponse --test-untagged
	LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/bb-network.log
	INTERVAL 5m
  The --test-untagged option means that there is an implicit
  "NET:standard" definition on all entries in the bb-hosts file,
  which do not have an explicit NET:... definition.