[hobbit] Modem monitoring

Tom Georgoulias tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Mon Jun 12 22:14:26 CEST 2006

Smith, Jim wrote:

> I would like to be able to monitor these modems by connecting to their
> port on the terminal server, i.e. 192.168.1.15:2001, send them an "AT"
> command, wait a few seconds for a response, then disconnect.  I can't
> figure out a way to connect to them with the additional requirement of
> having to use the network port that they addressed by on the terminal
> server...in this case, 2001 through 2007.

Kind of thinking out loud here, but what if you make a custom entry in
the bb-services file, with the send command containing AT (and whatever
else you need), and what you should expect back.  CHeck the bb-services
man page for details on this, as well as the bb-hosts man page.

I set up a couple of custom network tests using the bb-services file for
some proprietary applications, and it seems to work pretty well.

I never tried to do what you want to do, but a custom entry in
bb-services would be my first approach.  Someone else with much more
knowledge and experience might weight in on this as well.

Tom