[hobbit] BIND graph

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Jun 5 22:50:25 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 03:23:55PM -0400, Tom Georgoulias wrote:

> >Tom Georgoulias wrote:
>
> >>The graph def references a bind.rrd file, but the default dns test
> >>just generates a tcp.dns.rrd file.  Haven't done this myself, but I
> >>think you need to use the dns=TYPE:lookup tests to get that data.
>
> Rich Smrcina wrote:
> > By default it looks itself up, but I changed it to a NS lookup and no
> > rrd file.
>
> Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I just looked at do_bind.c file
> in the latest snapshot and I know why bind.rrd isn't being generated:
>
> int do_bind_rrd(char *hostname, char *testname, char *msg, time_t tstamp)
> {
>         errprintf("bind rrd not implemented\n");
>         return -1;
> }

Absolutely correct. The "bind" graphs are fed by the LARRD bind-larrd.pl
script, and since noone has complained until now, I was fairly sure it
wasn't being used by anyone.

The "dns" test in Hobbit just tracks the response time of your DNS
server, not the performance metrics that the bind-larrd.pl script
monitors.