[hobbit] client talks to bbd at 127.0.0.1:1984 ?!

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Jul 31 22:26:52 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 09:32:31PM -0400, Jerry Yu wrote:
> hi, there,
> I have both client & server of 4.2-RC-20060712 on Redhat Linux 9. Other RHL9
> clients work fine. One, mysteriously,  failed to start.
> hobbitclient.logshows it tries to bond with
> 127.0.0.1:1984, as fails miserably. As in other clients, I define the bb
> server's IP address in /etc/default/hobbit-client.  -x execution of the init
> script seems it did source the /etc/default/hobbit-client and got the
> correct bb server IP address. Any idea ? This RH9 boxen doesn't have
> bind-util package installed, that's the only difference I can think of.

The RPM config is a bit weird - in fact, I had to do a client install on
a Fedora box to see what it looks like. (It's been too long since I
put it together ...)

Anyway, the data from /etc/default/hobbit-client is copied into the
/var/run/hobbitclient-runtime.cfg file. Fromt here, they are included
into the ~hobbit/client/etc/hobbitclient.cfg file and that is where
they get picked up by the various Hobbit client-side tools.

So could you check that

* the /var/run/hobbitclient-runtime.cfg file exists, is current (i.e.
  is is updated when you restart the client), and it has the right
  settings in it; if not, try deleting it and restarting the client.
* the ~hobbit/client/etc/hobbitclient.cfg has a line with
     include /var/run/hobbitclient-runtime.cfg
  near the top, and there are NO settings for BBDISP or BBDISPLAYS
  in the hobbitclient.cfg file