[hobbit] noconn and Enable/disable CGI

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jul 20 08:53:18 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 09:01:57AM +0200, Dominique Frise wrote:
> Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 08:34:40AM +0200, Dominique Frise wrote:
> >
> >>We have hosts split across multiple pages and for service or OS grouping,
> >>same hosts can appear on several pages.
> >>Our admins are complaining that if they are viewing a page were there are
> >>hosts with the "noconn" tag, these do not appear in the Enable/disable
> >>hosts selection.
> >>It seems that the "Acknowledege Alert" CGI with the --no-pin flag has the
> >>same kind of behaviour.
>
> Extract of bb-hosts:

> page unilServMail Mail
> title Unil Services
> group-only conn|imaps|pop3s|smtp|webmail Unil Mail
> 1.2.2.5  zeb1	  # prefer COMMENT:"Mail Server" TRENDS:*,vmstat:vmstat1,disk:disk1 smtp pop3s imaps ssh
> page otherTest Other
> title Dev., Management & Test Services
> group-only conn|ssh|wit Academic Other
> 1.2.2.5  zeb1	  # noconn
>
> host zeb1 (showing connn and ssh statuses) on the otherTest page cannot be
> enabled/disabled.

OK, now I understand.

Again, this is a problem with how the alternate pagesets are
implemented. When Hobbit generates the enable/disable page, or the
acknowledge page, it will use the page-path it was called from as
a filter for which hosts to display. But hosts are only really
associated with their primary page, not the secondary ones.

So if you are looking at the "Other" page and hit the "Enable"
menu, the enable/disable utility will look for hosts that have
a pagepath of "otherTest" - and zeb1 is associated with the
"unilServMail" page, hence it isn't found.

I completely agree that this is not the behaviour you would expect.
Unfortunately, changing it is not trivial. So for now I've documented
it as a BUG in the man-pages, then I'll look at fixing this for the
next version.

Note that you can always disable/enable things from the "info" page
for a host.