Migration approach

Jeff Newman jeffnewman75 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 18:53:21 CEST 2006

All,

I was thinking now that the new version of hobbit has moved on to RC (yay!)
I would migrate my existing production hobbit server to the new version.

What sort of migration approach is recommended?

I ask this because I was thinking that it might be better to start fresh
with the RRD's because the new version adds some that didn't exist before,
and might do things differently with some of the existing ones, etc etc etc..
However, I don't want to lose the historical data, MEANING, I don't have
the requirement to re-add the existing data, but would like to be able to refer
to it. For example:

The new hobbit is running for a week, and someone has XYZ problem, wants
me to look at the graphs. I see there is some huge spike at xyz time, but
I don't know how long it has been going on, or if this is a growing
trend, or whatever,
so I want to look at the "old hobbit" graphs for that host which has much more
data.

Is there any way to "trick" hobbit into looking at the old RRD files
for a given host,
or is there some approach I am missing? Am I just being dumb? <grin>

Comments apprieciated.

Thanks,
jeff